What You Need To Know About S.B. 122- Joint Equal Physical Custody?

Fathers in search of equal custody have won a huge battle in Utah. With S.B. 122 passing, child custody can be split equally between parents. While the bills’ passing is wonderful news for hands-on fathers, is it good news for the children who will now be shuffled from house to house, maybe in the middle of a school week?

Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law, is here to answer any questions parents have regarding the new custody laws. Salt Lake City, Utah, child custody lawyer Emy Cordano has extensive experience navigating the challenging scope of child custody. She understands determining a child’s school, medical, religious, and other impactful decisions can complicate custody matters when parents disagree. When you need a Salt Lake City child custody attorney to help you put your child’s needs first, Emy Cordano can successfully help you through this difficult emotional struggle.

What Is Utah’s S.B. 122?

When Phil Casper and his team of attorneys pushed S.B. 122 through the House and Senate committees, his goal was to have equal parent time with his children. Recently the bill passed, giving judges a third option when deciding custody and parent-time arrangements.

Previously, the typical court orders were for

In favor of mothers. However, with a good attorney by your side, these orders were far less likely to occur.

Under the new law;

  • Parent time and physical custody can be split evenly
  • Parents would share overnights with children equally on an annual basis
  • Child support is calculated to reflect new equal custody arrangements

BUT there is no guarantee for any equal custody. The commissioners and judges are still the ultimate deciders of what they believe is in the best interest of the child/ren.

How Will the New Custody Arrangement Affect Children’s Stability in Utah?

If you are a parent, you know there is quite a bit that goes into scheduling children, and it only gets more complicated the older they get. So, how will being shuffled around from house to house affect children and their routines?

Suppose children stay 50% with their father and 50% with their mother, switching homes in the middle of the week. How will homework, school projects, extra-curricular activities be divided among the parents?

Previously, the primary parent took point on school projects, homework, medical needs, and so forth. If mom knows her child is struggling in math and has a science project due at the end of the week, can she count on dad to pick up where she left off, or will some things get lost in the shuffle? Will dad disagree and change the approach to math homework or the project itself, adding confusion to the mix?

Having a 50/50 child custody split will require both parents to have greater communication skills than were needed in the past. For recently divorced parents, will they be able to set aside their differences and keep a continuous and united front in every area of their child’s life, or will they disagree? Could a power battle emerge between mother and father? What about infants? If a baby is still nursing, will that be taken into consideration? What about the toddler years? Will one parent have a set routine while the other does things completely differently, resulting in a constantly confused, restless child?

If you are facing divorce and an equally emotional child custody battle, you need a skilled and experienced attorney who can answer your questions and ensure your and your children’s interests are a top priority.

With Emy Cordano, not only will you have an exceptionally skilled Salt Lake City child custody lawyer by your side, but you will also have someone who treats your case as it if was her own and is dedicated to your case 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When it comes to her clients, Emy Cordano is the honest, compassionate, skilled, and highly protective child custody attorney you need.

Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law

When you need the most dedicated child custody attorney in Salt Lake City, Utah, contact Emy Cordano today. You can contact us by clicking here or call us at (801) 901-8159.

Related Posts
  • Grandparents' Rights in Interstate Relocation Cases Read More
  • The Impact of Addiction on Child Custody Cases Read More
  • Navigating Interstate Custody Battles: A Comprehensive Guide for Parents Read More