Everything You Need To Know About Child Support Enforcement In Utah

Some parents avoid their responsibilities to their children. This is a growing problem that impacts the financial stability of many families across Utah. When children don’t receive the expected child support payments, many aspects of their lives can be affected, including their health care, education, and extracurricular activities. The loss of financial support can have a profound impact on your children. The law requires this support and it should be honored. Ask a Salt Lake City child support attorney about how a child support order can be enforced.

The Office of Recovery Services (ORS)

They are responsible for enforcing child support in Utah. Parents who struggle with their finances and who are unable to provide child support as established by the court can seek assistance from the ORS. If you are a parent who is not receiving child support from your former spouse, you can also ask them for help. Some of the services the ORS provides include:

  • Help when parents move to a different state.
  • Taking funds from the non-custodial parent’s account and withholding income.
  • Report missing child support.
  • Driver’s license suspension.
  • Deducting funds from other assets and filing liens.

Take your case to court

Child support is one of the most contentious aspects of family law. Some methods employed by the ORS are not enough to recover the funds your child needs. The judge may need to force your former spouse to provide child support by using an order that will force your ex to pay. A Salt Lake City child support attorney can explain the whole process. Some things the judge may do include:

  • Issuing fines against your former spouse.
  • Your ex-spouse may be guilty of contempt of court.
  • Holding your former spouse in jail until he or she pays.

Avoid retaliation

If your former spouse has missed child support payments, you cannot withhold visitation from him or her. It’s unlawful since your ex’s visitation rights are also legal. In other words, you could be facing the same penalties your ex is facing for not providing child support. Ask your attorney what to do in these types of situations.

Contact an experienced family law attorney

If your former spouse has failed to pay court-ordered child support, you should seek the advice of an experienced family law attorney. Federal and state laws mandate strict enforcement procedures you can take advantage of. Non-custodial parents delinquent in child support, also known as “in arrears,” must provide for their children as stipulated by law.

Do not try to enforce child support payments on your own. This is a complex process that only a child support attorney is qualified to handle. If you are having difficulty, call us today and schedule your initial consultation. A child support order must be obeyed. Family law attorney Emy A. Cordano can address your legal needs and represent you in court.

Related Posts
  • What To Do When Your Ex Owes Back Child Support? Read More
  • Reducing Child Support Payments During Times Of Economic Downturn Read More
  • How Can I Request More Child Support? Read More