EMY A. Cordano, Attorney at Law
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
Contact Us For A Case Review
Call Us 801-804-5152
Text Us 801-821-8561

Custody Modification Attorney

Custody Modification Lawyer Orem

Divorce is not easy, but sometimes it is necessary. In the aftermath, we know there are many adjustments that will take place in both parents’ lives. One thing is certain – everyone should want what is in the best interest of the children.

Utah family courts always try to keep both parents involved in their children’s lives if possible. This may be through joint custody or sole custody for one parent and visitation rights for the other. The divorce process can get complicated, but so can the aftermath.

There may be times when custody arrangements need to be changed, but that is not necessarily easy to do. When you need a custody modification attorney, turn to Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law. With decades of family law experience, you can be sure you will have someone fighting for you who can win.

Custody Types

Briefly, we will explain the types of custody.

Legal custody deals with who is responsible for legal decisions like education and medical issues for the child. Physical custody deals with where the child will primarily reside.

There are sole and joint custody options available for both types, but they do not have to be the same for both.

When making custody decisions, Utah family courts examine the lifestyles of both parents. Income and living arrangements are looked at, as are any physical or substance abuse issues.

Why The Change?

After a divorce is completed, the living and economic situations of one or both parents may change over time and these changes may necessitate a custody arrangement modification.

  • A parent may move.
  • A parent may lose a job and their income.
  • The child’s schedule may change due to school or other activities, making it harder for a custodial parent to handle the schedule.

Sometimes, instances of physical abuse or substance abuse by a parent may mean that the court has to change custody quickly.

When custody changes, there will often be a change in child support payments as well. If the child changes their primary residence, the non-custodial parent may have to pay more in support.

A custody change may also change a visitation schedule.

Throughout the entire process, both parents must abide by the court’s orders. If they do not, the other parent may seek an enforcement order to force compliance.

What Comes Next

When the situation changes, custody arrangements may need to change. That is okay. The courts understand that life situations will adjust over time. There is a system in place to facilitate custody modifications, but it is easier if you have an experienced attorney by your side through the process. When you need a custody modification attorney in Orem, call Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law. She will be there for you throughout the entire process. You can contact us by clicking here or call us at 801-804-5152 for an initial consultation. From helping draft new orders to go to court, Emy A. Cordano is ready to help.

    Contact Us

    All Fields are required
    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.