EMY A. Cordano, Attorney at Law
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
Contact Us For A Case Review
Call Us 801-804-5152
Text Us 801-821-8561

Joint Custody Attorney

More and more families are finding that it is in their children’s best interest to raise their children as co-parents. However, joint custody arrangements can be complex, and there are many details you will want to include if you were interested in entering a joint custody agreement with your child’s other parent.

Fortunately, with help from an experienced Holladay joint custody attorney, you can formulate a parenting plan that works best for you and your family. Contact attorney Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at law for a no-risk consultation today.

What Does “Joint Custody” Mean in Utah?

There are various types of child custody agreements under Utah law. First, there is legal and physical custody. Legal custody refers to all of the major decisions made regarding your child’s upbringing. Physical custody refers to the parent with which the child primarily resides. The parent who does not retain physical custody is often referred to as the non-custodial parent.

Both legal and physical custody can have several forms. There are joint, split, and sole custody agreements. Joint custody means parents will make decisions together regarding their children’s upbringing and may share physical custody as well.

In split custody agreements, one parent may retain physical and legal custody of one child, while the other parent will retain physical and legal custody of another. In sole custody agreements, only one parent will make decisions regarding a child’s upbringing, and the other parent may have parent-time rights as opposed to any physical custody rights.

If you are interested in entering a joint custody agreement, you may be hoping to work with your child’s other parent to continue to raise your child or children in an amicable co-parenting relationship. You may also be interested in sharing physical custody, where your children may spend equal amounts of time at both parents’ homes.

How to Handle Your Child Custody Case in Holladay

The Utah Family Court system will always do everything possible to act in the best interest of the child. Generally, unless there is some reason to believe that one parent is a threat to their child, the courts will hold that children should spend quality time with both of their parents. They may encourage parents to enter into joint custody agreements.

If you are hoping to enter into a joint custody plan, but your child’s other parent is resistant, you may attempt to resolve such disputes in mediation. This is a great alternative to bringing your case to court, where custody decisions could be made by a judge who does not know you or your family.

Meet With a Holladay Joint Custody Lawyer Today

If you are interested in entering a joint custody arrangement with your child’s other parent, but I’m not sure where to start, reach out to a knowledgeable Holladay joint custody lawyer for help.

Attorney Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law, is here to help your family formulate a parenting plan that means your family’s unique needs. Schedule your initial consultation today when you complete our online contact form or call our office at 801-804-5152.

    Contact Us

    All Fields are required
    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.