EMY A. Cordano, Attorney at Law
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
Contact Us For A Case Review
Call Us 801-804-5152
Text Us 801-821-8561


Will I Lose Everything In My Divorce?

No. In Utah, marital property is divided based on what is most equitable. This does not mean a 50-50 division. Instead, the court will look to a variety of factors, such as each spouse’s current income, earning ability, education and work experience — when dividing assets.

How Does Custody Work In Utah?

Custody can take many forms. One parent may have sole custody while the other has visitation or parents may share custody. If you and your child’s other parent cannot agree on an arrangement, the court will examine the circumstances and make a determination it feels is in the best interests of your children.

Can I Move Away With My Children?

Before relocating more than 150 miles away from your current home, you must first obtain approval from a family law judge. The judge will review the circumstances and determine whether relocating is in the best interests of your children. If so, you can move with your children. If not, you are still free to move, just not with your children. Instead, the judge will modify the custody order so the children remain in the area with their other parent.

How Can I Prevent My Ex From Relocating With My Children?

Even if you are not the primary caretaker, you can take steps to prevent your children from relocating. Before allowing a parent to relocate with his or her children, the court will examine the circumstances and determine whether a move is in the children’s best interests. This includes evaluating the impact the move will have on the children’s relationship with you — the non-relocating parent. The best way to stop your children from relocating is to work with an experienced divorce attorney who can build a strong argument demonstrating the move is not in your children’s best interests.

How Do I Prove I Am The Father Of My Child?

If you are an unmarried father, you may need to petition the court for a legal determination of paternity before you have a right to seek custody or visitation. If the mother contests your claim, DNA tests may be ordered.

I Am A Stay At Home Parent, How Can I Maintain My Lifestyle?

During a divorce, the resources that once supported one household must now support two. Maintaining your lifestyle – especially as a stay at home parent – may be difficult. The best way to ensure you get the resources you need is to work with an experienced divorce lawyer. I will do everything in my power to ensure you get the assets, child support, and alimony you need to leave your marriage in the most financially secure manner possible.

Can I Modify My Existing Child Custody Or Support Orders?

Under Utah law, child custody, child support, and spousal support or alimony, orders can only be modified when there has been a significant change in circumstances. If you or your ex is making considerably more or less income, or your child’s medical or educational needs have changed, you may be able to modify child support or alimony orders. If children start spending more time with one parent, proposed relocations or dangerous living situations arise, custody may be modified.

How Do I Protect Myself From My Abusive Ex?

A protective order or restraining order can provide some security. The order will make it illegal for your abuser to come near you. If violated, your abuser will face legal consequences, such as jail time.

Why Don’t You Offer Free Consultations?

Many people ask me why I don’t give free consultations. The answer is simple: I care too much about your case to give you legal advice before I really know the facts. When other attorneys offer free consults, they often give very generic information. They have little real knowledge of you, your family dynamics or your circumstances. The information they provide you may not be accurate and is often intended to scare you into hiring them.

I will never give you off-the-cuff advice. When I give you legal advice, it will be after I have thoroughly researched your situation. The legal route I suggest will be relevant, accurate and honest.

I know this takes a lot of faith on your part. But I promise it’s worth it. I have been practicing for 15 years. I am dedicated to my clients. My goal is to help you resolve your case in the most effective and financially efficient manner possible.

Emy A. Cordano

Emy A. Cordano

I am Emy Cordano, a family law attorney based in Salt Lake City. I concentrate my practice on divorce and family law matters; I am not a general practice lawyer. Family law is all I do. Here you’ll find additional articles and advice that I make available to anyone facing family law issues.

With further questions, give me a call at: 801-804-5152 Toll Free

    Contact Us

    All Fields are required
    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.