Call Us For A Case Review
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients

No. In Utah, marital property is divided based on what is most equitable. This does not mean a 50-50 division. Instead, the court will look to a variety of factors, such as each spouse’s current income, earning ability, education and work experience — when dividing assets .

Custody can take many forms. One parent may have sole custody while the other has visitation or parents may share custody. If you and your child’s other parent cannot agree on an arrangement, the court will examine the circumstances and make a determination it feels is in the best interests of your children.

Before relocating more than 150 miles away from your current home, you must first obtain approval from a family law judge. The judge will review the circumstances and determine whether relocating is in the best interests of your children. If so, you can move with your children. If not, you are still free to move, just not with your children. Instead, the judge will modify the custody order so the children remain in the area with their other parent.

Even if you are not the primary caretaker, you can take steps to prevent your children from relocating. Before allowing a parent to relocate with his or her children, the court will examine the circumstances and determine whether a move is in the children’s best interests. This includes evaluating the impact the move will have on the children’s relationship with you — the non-relocating parent. The best way to stop your children from relocating is to work with an experienced divorce attorney who can build a strong argument demonstrating the move is …

If you are an unmarried father, you may need to petition the court for a legal determination of paternity before you have a right to seek custody or visitation. If the mother contests your claim, DNA tests may be ordered.

During divorce, the resources that once supported one household must now support two. Maintaining your lifestyle – especially as a stay at home parent – may be difficult. The best way to ensure you get the resources you need is to work with an experienced divorce lawyer . I will do everything in my power to ensure you get the assets, child support and alimony you need to leave your marriage in the most financially secure manner possible.

Under Utah law, child custody , child support and spousal support, or alimony, orders can only be modified when there has been a significant change in circumstances. If you or your ex is making considerably more or less income, or your child’s medical or educational needs have changed, you may be able to modify child support or alimony orders . If children start spending more time with one parent, proposed relocations or dangerous living situations arise, custody may be modified.

A protective order or restraining order can provide some security. The order will make it illegal for your abuser to come near you. If violated, your abuser will face legal consequences, such as jail time.

Many people ask me why I don’t give free consultations. The answer is simple: I care too much about your case to give you legal advice before I really know the facts. When other attorneys offer free consults, they often give very generic information. They have little real knowledge of you, your family dynamics or your circumstances. The information they provide you may not be accurate and is often intended to scare you into hiring them. I will never give you off-the-cuff advice. When I give you legal advice, it …

Yes! I do offer a military discount to servicemen and women.

The legal processes surrounding divorce , custody and other family law disputes can be overwhelming. At Emy A. Cordano, Attorney At Law, I will sit down with you, discuss your situation and develop a legal strategy that is best for you. To set up an appointment to meet about your family law matter, call 801-208-8018 or 435-940-5523 .

I am Emy Cordano, a family law attorney based in Salt Lake City. I concentrate my practice on divorce and family law matters; I am not a general practice lawyer. Family law is all I do. Here you’ll find additional articles and advice that I make available to anyone facing family law issues.
With further questions, give me a call at:
Toll Free